Did your BGP crash today?

Thomas Mangin thomas.mangin at exa-networks.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 19:10:54 UTC 2010

On 27 Aug 2010, at 20:03, Grzegorz Janoszka wrote:

> On 27-08-10 20:41, Thomas Mangin wrote:
>>> I think most of the impact was limited to Europe, especially Amsterdam area.
>> Yes, It had an effect on ISPs which are connected to RIS. http://www.ripe.net/ris/
>> AFAIK this mean ASes at LINX and AMS-IX . The LINX graph shows a similar (but smaller) dip of 50-60 GB.
>
> Not only. We don't peer with RIS, but about 8-10 our peers announce to us RIS. The nasty update we got from completely different AS, not RIS.
> You may just check whether you see AS12654 - it is RIS.

Yes, the BGP message had a transitive attribute - sorry if I was not clear.
That said, you may want to ask why you are getting RIS routes if you are not peering with them directly :p

RIS is peering world wide ( http://www.ripe.net/ris/docs/peering.html ) but the mail was only sent to linx-ops and tech-l, so the announcement may have been limited to europe (for all I know).

Thomas