Should routers send redirects by default?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 24 20:32:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Christopher Morrow
<christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Polling a little bit here, there's an active discussion going on
> 6man at ietf about whether or not v6 routers should:
>  o be required to implement ip redirect functions (icmpv6 redirect)
>  o be sending these by default

Hi Chris,

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a similar question whose answers
might be instructive for the question you asked:

Forgetting all of the theoretical constructs for a moment, has anyone
here personally encountered an operational scenario in which ICMP
redirects solved a problem for you that you would otherwise have found
difficult or intransigent? Without naming names, would you describe
the scenario's details, explain the problem that would have existed
absent redirects and explain how redirects solved it for you?

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004