on network monitoring and security - req for monitoring tools

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Mon Aug 23 14:40:29 UTC 2010

Are you looking only at Open Source tools?  If not you are missing all of
the most widely deployed tools out there (including):

HP Open View
Cisco Works
IBM Tivoli/NetCool
Smarts (now EMC Ionix)

Also a few other open tools:
ZenOSS
Zabbix

You will also need to look at separate security monitoring software if your
goal is to cover that.  Not including any commercial vendors, I'd say you at
least need to include:
SNORT (possibly including a front end like BASE/ACID)
Suricata
Nessus
Sguil

As to one solution being "better" than the other, a lot of it comes down to
opinion and exactly what you need.  Also are you willing to do a lot of
coding to get it to do exactly what you want?  What is your budget?  How big
is your network?  What are the vendors in question?  What is most important
to you (graphing, alerting, automated fault resolution, topology
discovery,...)?  How much staff do you have dedicated to the project?  And
on and on...

	-Scott