PacketShader

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Aug 23 12:00:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 05:59:43 -0400
Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:23:19 -1000, Michael Painter said:
> > Researchers in South Korea have built a networking router that transmits data
> > at record speeds from components found in most high-end desktop computers
> >  http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/26096/?nlid=3423
>
> Two great quotes from the article:
>
> "That isn't fast enough to take advantage of the full speed of a typical
> network card, which operates at 10 gigabytes per second."
>
> Anybody got a network of PCs that have cards that run at 10GBytes/sec? ;)

I missed that, and that answers the "was it a GigaBytes verses Gigabits
error" question. Nothing new here by the looks of it - people in this
thread were getting those sorts of speeds a year ago out of PC hardware
under Linux -

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/15/234

"I have achieved a collective throughput of 66.25 Gbit/s."

"We've achieved 70 Gbps aggregate unidirectional TCP performance from
one P6T6 based system to another."