Monitoring Tools

Nathan Eisenberg nathan at atlasnetworks.us
Thu Aug 19 19:52:22 UTC 2010

It hasn't really changed.  Almost every monitoring package I've found where you want to monitor something like 'disk space free on /' requires a daemon of some sort on the host - whether that's SNMPD or their agent.  FWIW, I have had their agent running on many, many servers over the years - it has never caused me a moment of heartache (for safety's sake, iptables restricts who can talk to the agent, which has its own control mechanism built in to define who it will talk to, and it runs as a restricted user, just in case).

If you don't want to use their agent, you can monitor hosts via SNMP (if you run snmpd on your servers) or via server-side checks (is 80 listening?  Does the site at http://www.google.com contain "I'm feeling lucky"?  Can I ping 4.2.2.2?  Etc...).

However, the OP was about monitoring network environments (which I took to mean routers/switches/firewalls/blah, not hosts).  These devices typically speak SNMP, so $MonitoringSolution will just talk SNMP to it, and you don't have to worry about any agents.  :-)

-Nathan