Numbering nameservers and resolvers

Phil Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Thu Aug 19 03:13:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 08:52:20AM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> Selecting a site outside of your control is valuable.  When I was
> hostmaster at cic.net, we "traded" with mr.net.  These days, if I were
> in the same role, I would want to have three instead of two.  Asia,
> Europe and US someplace.  If US only, east, west and central.

While this is good advice, I think it is also important to
consider your customer base. I could easily host an authoritative
nameserver for my domains in Japan, but I elected not to do so,
because most of the end users who would be querying it are in
Canada, and, with one nameserver in Canada and one in Japan,
they would get a long RTT on DNS queries roughly half the time.

-Phil