end-user ipv6 deployment and concerns about privacy

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Aug 18 05:12:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:

> Did you reach any conclusion on this matter?

Let the user choose. Here in Sweden we've for 10 years had ISPs offering
static IPv4 address (either handed out via DHCP or just plain static with
no dynamics what so ever) and some users prefer that, some don't. Some
sell static IP as an extra option, some don't.

For people who want to use DNS and run services, they'll most likely want
a static address/subnet that doesn't change in the first place (even
though it should be handed out via DHCPv6-PD for ease). If someone wants
to be anonymous, there is always TOR or other anonymising services.

Personally I prefer static for both IPv4 and IPv6 and have chosen
providers accordingly historically. I also recommend this to others.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se