end-user ipv6 deployment and concerns about privacy

Hannes Frederic Sowa hannes at mailcolloid.de
Tue Aug 17 23:12:19 UTC 2010

Hello!

As the first IPv6 deployments for end-users are in the planning stage
in Germany, I realized I have not found any BCP for handling
addressing in those scenarios. IPv6 will make it a lot easier for
static address deployments but I wonder weather this is in the best
sense for the customers. As I normally come from the technical side I
prefer static addressing. But in the world of facebook and co. I
wonder if it would be a better to let the user have the choice. A
major provider of dsl here in Germany recently blogged about this [1].
Their proposal is to serve two subnets, one being a static one while
the other one will be dynamically allocated. I have no clue how the
user would switch between these subnets (without using some kind of
command line tools).

This is not about using privacy extensions as the subnet is sufficient
for identification.

Did you reach any conclusion on this matter?

Thanks,

  Hannes

[1] http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http://blog.1und1.de/2010/05/07/ipv6-totale-ueberwachung/&sl=de&tl=en