Recycling old cabling?

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Tue Aug 17 17:16:05 UTC 2010

On 8/17/10 5:29 AM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, is anyone here recycling old cabling and plant
> infrastructure for their raw materials, or engaging a recycler to handle
> those materials?  Where I work, there is almost always a renovation
> project going on.  This provides opportunities to rip out
> Cat3/Cat5/long-abandoned thicknet/thinnet/FDDI-grade fiber/etc, which we
> normally do.  Most of the time that old cabling ends up in the dumpster,
> but I'm wondering if anyone is recycling it, either by their choice, or
> as the result of company policy or relevant laws in your area?

Stripping out wiring and recycling it around here is actually a fairly
good business - with buildings and offices changing hands from one major
player to another, the new owner usually wants to gut the entire inside
of the building and redo it their way.   Given that Boise was once a
pretty nice place to be for tech companies, and the downturn of the
economy, the past two years has seen a spike in the recycling side of
things.

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org