Numbering nameservers and resolvers

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Aug 17 03:39:02 UTC 2010

On Aug 16, 2010, at 9:03 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> said:
>> 1) Use different prefixes.  A single prefix going down should not kill
>> your entire network.  (Nameservers and resolvers being unreachable
>> breaks the whole Internet as far as users are concerned.)
>
> How do you do this in the IPv6 world, where I get a single /32?  Will
> others accept announcements of two /33s to better handle things like
> this?

Everyone I know that is clued in this arena goes out and (even as a $sfi_network) BUYS transit/colo/somethingelse from another network (or does it via trade/barter/part of peering agreements, you get the idea).

There are also people you can outsource this stuff to as well to make sure it's done right.  Honestly, I'm surprised both at how many and how few people do this.  Those that have the network capability pay someone else to do DNS at times, and those who should pay to have a reliable service hack it on some poor network infrastructure.

Some people even provide an API or web interface to manage secondary dns servers to help out those in need.

Try clicking here: http://www.google.com/search?q=free+secondary+dns

- Jared