Geolocation tools - IPv6 style

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Mon Aug 16 14:09:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 01:39:47 +1200 (FJT), Franck Martin
<franck at genius.com> wrote:
> I have the feeling that the systems is not able to understand at all
> IPv6 for geolocation therefore default to "foreign".
>
> I'm not aware of anyone providing IPv6 geolocation at the moment?
> Anyone has pointers?

Maxmind has an IPv6 database at
http://www.maxmind.com/app/geolitecountry

It is very rudimentary. Given that the number of native IPv6
connections on the residential market is still very limited, it will, at
best, return the location of your tunnel provider. Not very useful right
now, especially of your tunnel provider is not local to you.

Patrick Vande Walle