Lightly used IP addresses

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Aug 15 10:49:12 UTC 2010

On Aug 15, 2010, at 6:21 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> gosh, i must have completely misread section nine
>> Seeking contractual rights contrary to IETF RFCs 2008 and 2150?
>
> oh, and if you feel that you have those rights by other means than the
> lrsa, then why is section nine in the lrsa.  just remove it.

Easy to do, you can either:

1) Change the appropriate policy language (NRPM 6.4.1) via the ARIN policy
   development process, in which case the LRSA will be updated as noted, or

2) If you feel that you'd prefer a different forum, you can address this on a
   more global basis (since each RIR has similar language regarding addresses)
   by going through the IETF and revising the RFCs, which will likely result
   in the RIRs all reviewing their documents accordingly.

Either route requires that the community comes to a consensus on the change
and can give you the results you seek.  Or you can enjoy the status quo.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

p.s. If you want to continue to discuss, can we shortly move this to PPML
     or ARIN-Discuss for the sake of those not interested in these matters
     who have different expectations from their NANOG list subscription?