Lightly used IP addresses

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 23:03:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 15:25, Ken Chase <ken at sizone.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 05:00:04PM -0400, Jared Mauch said:
>  >I know of several large providers that would stop routing such "rogue" space.
>
> Really? They'd take a seriously delinquent (and we're only talking about non
> payment after several months to Arin, not spammers or other 'criminal'
> elements) that's still paying for their transit and cut off their prefix
> announcements? I dont know that that's true for most outfits in these tough
> times. Nixing a $5000 or $10000+ MRC revenue stream probably requires some
> hard thought at high levels in most outfits.

First, in this thread we are not talking about folks who have not paid
ARIN their dues, we are talking about folks who "sell" addresses
despite not being authorized to do so by ARIN - aka abuse/fraud.

Either way, if ARIN finds strong enough reason to revoke numbers from
Org A who is ISP X' customer, ARIN will eventually reassign those
numbers. When ISP Y calls ISP X and says "hey, your customer Org A is
advertising my customer Org B's address space." ISP X will check
WHOIS, see that they are telling the truth and filter that block from
Org A. If ISP X does not, they will likely see peering and transit
options shrink rapidly.

So in short - yes, really.
~Chris

--