Lightly used IP addresses

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Aug 14 05:19:27 UTC 2010

On Aug 14, 2010, at 12:32 AM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

> John,
>
> I will concur with Randy that much of the travel that ARIN funds is
> excessive. ARIN has a booth at trade shows so i'm going to guess that
> entire setup with travel costs about $20,000 - 50,000 per show. Why?
> To convince me to use ARIN for my IP space needs? To convince us to
> switch to IPv6? I'm not really understanding this, ARIN can hear from
> the community for free and without spending tens of thousands of
> dollars.
>
> Why can't we save that money and use it to provide tangible services,
> like providing advisory and implementation assistance for companies
> wanting to convert to IPv6? We could use it to fund investigations
> targeting IP space abuse (see my previous post a few minutes back).

This year ARIN has undertaken a major initiative in outreach specifically
regarding IPv6, and this includes time of several ARIN staff, trade show
participation, travel for volunteers from the AC or Board, PR firm, etc.
I'd estimate this additional initiative to be near $500,000 in expense
within ARIN's $15M/year budget.

The goal is to get the message about impending IPv4 depletion and IPv6
transition out to more organizations in the region.  One side effect of
this is that hopefully you're seeing the IPv6 issue appearing quite a
bit more in both trade and business press.

While we may think that the IPv4/IPv6 situation is common knowledge, we
are running into ISPs and hosting companies each day that believe we've
got enough IPv4 addresses for many decades to come.  Now, we're doing
this because we've had people at the microphones at nearly every ARIN
public meeting asking us to do more to increase the visibility of IPv4
depletion and IPv6, so this is definitely something that should get
some more discussion at the next ARIN meeting if you feel otherwise.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

p.s. Ongoing threads on ARIN financials should probably move over to
     ARIN-discuss sooner or later (out of respect to those on Nanog who
     didn't think they signed up for that on this operational list...)