Lightly used IP addresses

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Aug 14 03:23:52 UTC 2010

On Aug 13, 2010, at 10:55 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> if the iana could get out from under lawyers and domainer greed, and go
> back to simply being bookkeeper for the internet, they could do the
> automated solution today.  well, with some months of setup.  and we
> could get rid of 95% of the costs the rirs are sucking from our thinning
> bloodstreams.  or a gutsy rir could lead the way.  fat chance.

If the allocation and reassignment of address space has no policy associated
with it, then there's no doubt that most of the registry functions can be
automated, and there's no need for the associated policy development process,
public policy meetings, travel, conference calls.  Quite a bit of savings
available there, but the community first has to decide on permanent policy
(or lack thereof :-) for that automated world before we can reap the savings.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN