Lightly used IP addresses

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Aug 14 01:51:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Vadim Antonov <avg at kotovnik.com> wrote:
> How come ARIN has any say at all if A wants to sell and
> B wants to buy? Trying to fend off the imaginary
> monopolistic hobgoblin?

Because that portion of the address-using community, people just like
you, that shows up and participates in ARIN's policy process has its
collective brain wrapped around the concept of  "justified need."
That's how we've always allocated addresses, even before ARIN's
inception, and that's how we continue to do it.

And in complete fairness - why should folks who received vast tracts
of addresses for little or no cost under a justified-need regime now
have free reign to monetize their sale? It's one thing for B to pay A
to re-architect part of his network in a way that shakes loose some
addresses. It's quite another for A and B to swap addresses like it
was a futures market.

If you would have the "justified need" regime change, you have to
learn it's history, how and why it came to be. And then you have to
show up, subscribe to the PPML list, keep up with it, and advocate
intelligently for new policy. And you have to bring people with you
who are willing to make the same time investment. ARIN listens, but
they listen to the folks who make the effort.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004