Lightly used IP addresses

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Aug 13 23:38:28 UTC 2010

On Aug 13, 2010, at 6:03 PM, Ken Chase wrote:

> I don't know what to suggest, but perhaps a more binding set of policies for
> ARIN members to engage in policing/responding to shutdown requests on the
> community's behalf and some penalties for not upholding agreements is in
> order.

Ken -

Be careful what you ask for... There is a fairly significant difference
between ARIN administering number resources (as a trade association based
on a body of openly-developed policy) and parties deciding not to engage
in business with suppliers or customers except under certain conditions.
Some countries prohibit discussions of collective business actions of
any form, unless the government is involved to insure that the public
interest is protected.

As Vadim noted, you can certainly bilaterally negotiate with another ISP
regarding the nature of the routes/IP addresses/traffic that you exchange,
but you might want to seek counsel before trying such on a collective basis...

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN