Lightly used IP addresses

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Aug 13 21:04:00 UTC 2010

>I've tried to deal with that a few times - mainly by writing up the
>first upstream AS.  Usually they don't care (and every time I have
>noticed someone blatantly stealing space, it's been spammers).

Has there ever been a case where ARIN has tried to take a block back
from a party to whom they had allocated it and doesn't want to give it
back?  My impression is that stolen space is all swamp or legacy or
abandoned, but I really don't know.

In case it's not obvious, I'm not advocating that people thumb their
noses at ARIN, but I don't see any obvious way to avoid my scenario.

R's,
John