Lightly used IP addresses

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Aug 13 20:06:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 03:43:11PM -0400, John Curran wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2010, at 1:55 PM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> >    could you provide 4 numbers for me please?
> >
> >     % of ARIN managed resource covered by standard RSA?
> >     % of ARIN managed legacy resource covered by legacy RSA?
> >     % of ARIN managed legacy resource not otherwise covered?
> >     % of ARIN region entities (A & B above) that have offices/relationships
> >      with other RIRs that have a divergent transfer process in place?
>
> Bill -
>
>   We'll work on generating these numbers to the extent
>   possible for the upcoming meeting; back in April, I noted
>   that we had about 21% of the legacy space (by total IP
>   address count) under an LRSA (6%) or RSA (15%). For now,
>   this is first order estimate for your second and third
>   questions.   These numbers keep going up, so we'll need
>   some work to generate current ones for the next meeting.
>   Regarding the last one, that's very difficult to obtain;
>   how do you see it impacting the overall outcome?
>
> /John

	these questions were asked in response to Owens views on
	the ARIN reclaimation process in the case of documented
	transfers outside the existing ARIN processes.

	my assertion to Owen was that his views would apply directly
	to the folks under a standard RSA.  My reading of the
	LRSA suggests that ARIN has a much narrower remit on recovery
	of resources covered by that document. the third camp was/is
	a much thornier patch of ground, fraught w/ peril if ARIN
	takes action on recovery, at least imho.  #4, well that sounds
	like fruitful ground for inter-RIR coordination.

	for example, if 75% of the total resource under ARIN administration
	is legacy, then 25% is covered by the standard RSA.  Within the 75%,
	6% of it is under LRSA and 15% of it is under the standard RSA.

	if this characterization is in ballpark, then Owens view on
	reclaimation only holds for ~30% of the resource under ARIN administration.

	Correct?

--bill