IPv6 Server Load Balancing - DSR

Leland Vandervort leland at taranta.discpro.org
Thu Aug 12 17:34:18 UTC 2010

Well, Frankly our "culture" is very much open source, so if we can find something along those lines, then it would be preferred.  (Hence looking at OpenSolaris and ILB). -- having said that, we do have both F5 and Foundry kit here, but it's all pre-IPv6 so doesn't have the support built in.  Not really looking to replace what is in existence already for IPv4 with something new to do both, so really that reinforces the open-source avenue really.

I think the biggest problem is really the DSR aspect for IPv6, since the OS/ILB solution works perfectly in NAT mode, and DSR works perfectly with IPv4 on this solution.  So either I'm missing something critical on the "real" server configuration, or ILB's implementation of DSR for IPv6 doesn't really work.  The "virtual" IP is bound to loopback on the real servers, exactly the same was as for IPv4.  So other than something quirky going on with ND, or simply ILB not correctly rewriting the L2 frame, or there's something else more sinister afoot that I'm unable to put my finger on.

Back to the drawing board... :)

Thanks,

Leland