Cost of transit and options in APAC

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Aug 11 22:15:22 UTC 2010

On 8/11/10 2:03 PM, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> On 11 Aug 10, at 2:53 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
>> I think the question is more like why am I being quoted $100 A
>> megabit in India for transit in India? Not why am I being charged
>> for for the transport cost across the pacific.
>
> Obviously I can't speak for the providers in question, but I'd guess
> that the cost for transit in AP is strongly related to the cost of
> long-haul transport.

Start with something that can be effectively isolated from the
transpacific path.

Gotten a quote for a 1Gbe or 10Gbe between two cities in India recently?

map that onto what you'd pay for a similar path in the US, count the
extra zeros (once you account for the fact that INR is 46.91 to the dollar).