off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

Kenny Sallee kenny.sallee at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 23:01:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Jessica Yu <jyy_99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do not know if making such distinction would alter the conclusion of your
> paper.  But, to me, there is a difference between one to predict the growth
> of
> one particular network based on the stats collected than one to predict the
> growth of the entire Internet with no solid data.
> Thanks!--Jessica

Agree with Jessica: you can't say the 'Internet' doubles every x number of
days/amount of time no matter what the number of days or amount of time is.
 The 'Internet' is a series of tubes...hahaha couldn't help it....As we all
know the Internet is a bunch of providers plugged into each other.  Provider
A may see an 10x increase in traffic every month while provider B may not.
 For example, if Google makes a deal with Verizon only Verizon will see a
huge increase in traffic internally and less externally (or vice versa).
 Until Google goes somewhere else!  So the whole 'myth' of Internet doubling
every 100 days to me is something someone (ODell it seems) made up to
appease someone higher in the chain or a government committee that really
doesn't get it.  IE - it's marketing talk to quantify something.  I guess if
all the ISP's in the world provided a central repository bandwidth numbers
they have on their backbone then you could make up some stats about Internet
traffic as a whole.  But without that - it just doesn't make much sense.

Just my .02
Kenny