off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Aug 9 15:32:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:01:12 PDT, "Frank A. Coluccio" said:
> re:
> Capacity ".... as measured by OC12-miles,
> doubles every four months..."
> Now that's a fascinating form of metric in itself.
> Distance * bit-rate equals capacity? What happened
> to the 'traffic' component?

It's a measure of *capacity*, not traffic.  If you string up 1 1GE line or a
bundle of 24 100GE, that's the *capacity* of the path, even if there's only 600
mbits/sec actually flowing. Remember your car's gas tank only hold 17.6 gallons
of gas, whether you drive enough that you buy gas every Monday and Thursday, or
so little you only buy gas on the 3rd of every month.

And adding miles as a component has its uses - stringing an OC-12 across a
meet-me room is less of a challenge than lighting up a Boston-San Diego link.