NOC Best Practices

Stefan Liström stefan at nordu.net
Mon Aug 9 14:01:59 UTC 2010

Hello Kim

I am also interested in NOC best practices, but have found out that it
is not easy to find much documented on the subject. I think as most seem
to have already answered in your thread, that is because every NOC is a
little different from the other. Specially depending on the type of
organisation or company they are working for.

One of the things we have done in the research and educational community
in Europe is to start a Task Force[1] on the topic. The task force has
not really kicked off yet, so unfortunately we don't have any answers to
your questions yet. I also guess your from a commercial company which
might have a little different priorities than "we" do. That said, maybe
looking at our questions and problems, might give you some food for
thoughts in regards to what is important for your NOC.

Following my link[2] below you can find our Terms of Reference.
Basically what we are aiming to investigate and what we initially think
is interesting to discuss in regards to a NOC.

Not sure if it is helpful for you, but during our initial discussions
around the task force we had some presentations about the NOC from
different kinds of organisations. You can find the presentation slides
on our meeting page[3].

If you are interested in ITIL and operations I can recommend the
following two books:
IT Service Management Based on ITIL V3, A Pocket Guide
The Visible OPS Handbook, Implementing ITIL in 4 practical and auditable
steps

They are fairly easily read and make some good points. But if you
consider implementing ITIL, be aware of the fact that it is easy to
overcomplicating things. I would recommend starting out small and only
use the things you think makes sense in regards to your organisation.

Someone in this thread mentioned e-tom[4] which is published by TMForum.
TMForum publish best practices in among other things operations, the
downside is that you have to be a member to access most of their
published documents.

[1] http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-noc/
[2] http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-noc/tf-noc-tor_v3.pdf
[3] http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-noc/prep/programme.html