off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

Jessica Yu jyy_99 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 21:52:11 UTC 2010

I have a concern that your posting and your paper mix UUNet traffic with the
Internet traffic.  I personally was very much involved in the ISP world (was
working for Tier1 ISPs) during the period and I’d like to point out the
following:
UUNet’s (or any other individual network’s) traffic does NOT equal to the
Internet traffic, even at that time!
I was working at ANSnet and later UUnet due to a three party acquisition deal
between AOL, WorldCom and CompuServe during that time period.  I did hear
presentations about network traffic being doubling every 100 days by O’Dell but
my understanding was that he was referring to UUnet’s traffic not the Internet
traffic.

At the time, the Tier 1 ISPs included UUNet, MCI Network, Sprint Network,
ANSnet, etc.  Each ISP could only collect network traffic stats on its own
backbone and there was no one entity could collect the entire Internet traffic.
For this reason, the prediction by O’Dell could only be based on UUNet’s traffic
stats.   I really doubt that O’Dell would say the Internet traffic doubling
every 100 days rather than saying that of UUNet’s traffic.   I’d encourage you
to do some research to find out if he was really referring to the Internet
traffic or just UUNet traffic.  The reference listed by your paper showed that
he was saying ‘network traffic’ not ‘Internet traffic.’

I do not know if making such distinction would alter the conclusion of your
paper.  But, to me, there is a difference between one to predict the growth of
one particular network based on the stats collected than one to predict the
growth of the entire Internet with no solid data.
Thanks!--Jessica