Terry Childs conviction

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Fri Apr 30 01:04:39 UTC 2010

Henry Linneweh wrote:
> Anytime you mess with a government entity, without legal guidance, you are at
> great risk. Mr.Childs took a risk and jury decided he was wrong. He faces
> 5 years in prison.

Unlikely.
 From the article:

"However, Judge Teri Jackson is expected to impose a sentence under
which Childs would serve a few additional months at most, after she
gives him credit for the nearly two years he has spent in county jail
since being arrested in July 2008"

I didn't know jury trials went this way, if a juror doesn't agree you
simply kick the person out. You learn something new every day. :-)

"The jury deliberated for several days before a lone holdout against
conviction was removed from the panel, for reasons that were not
disclosed. After an alternate was put in that juror's place, the panel
started over and reached a decision in a matter of hours."

And one can argue he behaved like any security conscious IT person
should behave, although I'm sure in this case the truth lies more in the
middle:

"Shikman acknowledged that Childs may have been "paranoid" about
protecting the system and undiplomatic with his bosses, but nothing worse
(..)
"All they had to do was ask him (for the passwords) in a secure and
professional way, consistent with policy and standards," Shikman told
the jury."

Regards,
Jeroen

--