Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Apr 29 21:24:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:24:37 -0400
William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> >> Stateful Inspection can be implemented fail-closed.
> >
> > Not to take issue with either statement in particular, but I think there
> > needs to be some consideration of what "fail" means.
>
> Fail means that an inexperienced admin drops a router in place of the
> firewall to work around a priority problem while the senior engineer
> is on vacation. With NAT protecting unroutable addresses, that failure
> mode fails closed.

Fail is expecting a low level staff member, who doesn't know better, to
substitute for a senior one, who does. Would you also let a
helpdesk teamleader (low level, relatively inexperienced management
position) take over the CEO's job if the CEO was available and there was
a business crisis? A medical student take over from a doctor in an
emergency ward?