Starting up a WiMAX ISP

Varaillon Jean Christophe j.varaillon at cosmoline.com
Thu Apr 29 13:58:39 UTC 2010

Hi,

Based on what the markets currently offers and what your potential customers
need, you can figure out the packages that you could to sell (Internet,
voip, vpn, guaranteed bandwidth...). This would give you the resources that
should be considered per customer. It would also give you a hint to select
the CPE (wifi, POTS, firewall...)

Then, it is necessary to locate, physically the area with the greatest
potential of getting customers. This would give an idea of where should the
base stations be located, how many customers would be aggregated at one Base
Station (having in mind how many customers will be connected concurrently)
and how much downlink traffic is to be expected.

In case you go for a model where the ASN-GW is centralized, all the traffic
has to go from each base station to the ASN-GW. The backhauling could be
done using Ethernet RF point-to-point link, re-using the mast where the
Wimax antenna is.

The ASN site, aggregates all the backhaul links into a switch, which then
connects to the ASN-GW (BRAS like). This is where the AAA, (DHCP), DNS, NTP,
NMS/EMS are also located.

In my opinion, the critical point really resides on the radio part (license,
authorization, legal complains, interferences...).

Jean-Christophe VARAILLON