the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Apr 28 22:31:32 UTC 2010

Mark,

On Apr 28, 2010, at 3:07 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> Perhaps the ability to change service providers without having to renumber?
>
> We have that ability already.  Doesn't require NAT.

Cool!  You've figured out, e.g., how to renumber authoritative name servers that you don't have direct control over!  And modify filter lists on a firewalls across an enterprise network!  And remotely update provisioning systems and license managers without interrupting services!  Etc., etc.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-renum-needs-work-05.txt

A tiny home office network managed by a highly technical individual with full control over all aspects of the network is not a good model on which to base the definition of "we".

Regards,
-drc