[dns-operations] Desire to migrate back to BIND

Franck Martin franck at genius.com
Wed Apr 28 09:54:18 UTC 2010

Webmin?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Regnauld" <regnauld at nsrc.org>
To: "NANOG list" <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 28 April, 2010 9:34:55 PM
Subject: Re: [dns-operations] Desire to migrate back to BIND

Had forgotten to answer the list...

On 28/04/2010, at 07.07, Steve Bertrand <steve at ipv6canada.com> wrote:

> What I ask of the members of the community, is if you can make a
> recommendation on a piece of software that can bridge the gap so
> that my
> colleagues can use the pointy-clicky method of making simple changes
> (eg: A/MX, add domain etc) while keeping in mind that budget
> considerations are crucial, and there will always be the potential for
> someone making changes to the zone files directly (namely me).

Hi Steve,

There is BIND-DLZ and MyDNS to look at but I think both work directly
using a bind db driver so no possibility of editing the zone "by hand"
(unless you hack some export/import script using the zone transfer
functionality.

My company developed something that works with both GUI and text zone
edition including versioning, but it's not open source unfortunately.
It can drive any auth. nameserver software, not just bind.

I'm sure there might be other solutions around that do this as well
(though I haven't found one yet ;)

Cheers,
Phil