the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Josh Hoppes josh.hoppes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 04:04:58 UTC 2010

I'll preface this that I'm more of an end user then a network
administrator, but I do feel I have a good enough understanding of the
protocols and
network administration to submit my two cents.

The issue I see with this level of NAT, is the fact that I don't
expect that UPNP be implemented at that level.
I would see UPNP as being a security risk and prone to denial of
service attacks when you have torrent clients attempting to grab every
available port.

Now that's going to create problems with services like Xbox Live which
require UPNP to fully function since at least on one persons
connection
so they can "host" the game. When you're looking at player counts in
the millions I'm fairly sure that they are going to be effected by
CGN.
That's one application I expect to see break by such large scale NAT
implementations.