[Nanog] Re: IPv6 rDNS - how will it be done?

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold xenophage at godshell.com
Wed Apr 28 00:47:03 UTC 2010

On Apr 27, 2010, at 8:42 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Windows will just populate the reverse zone as needed, if you let
> it, using dynamic update.  If you have properly deployed BCP 39
> and have anti-spoofing ingres filtering then you can just let any
> address from the /48 add/remove PTR records.  Other OS's will
> follow suite.

Is DDNS really considered to be the end-all answer for this?  It seems we're putting an awful lot of trust in the user when doing this..  I'd rather see some sort of macro expansion in bind/tinydns/etc that would allow a range of addresses to be added.

> Alternatively you can delegate the reverse for the /48 to servers
> run by the customers.

This works for commercial customers, but I'm not sure I'd want to delegate this to a residential customer.

> Mark

Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
xenophage at godshell.com
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
- Niven's Inverse of Clarke's Third Law