the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Tue Apr 27 17:36:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:29:59AM -0400, John R. Levine wrote:
>> Did you use Yahoo IM, AIM, or Skype?
> Yes, yes, and yes.  Works fine.

What about every other service/protocol that users use today,
and might be invented tomorrow ?  Do & will they all work with
NAT ?

Do many others work as well or act reliably through NAT ?

Will it stop or hamper the innovation of new services on the
internet ?

The answer to these questions isn't a good one for users, so
as the community that are best placed to defend service quality
and innovation by preserving the end to end principal, it is
our responsibility to defend it to the best of our ability.

So get busy - v6 awareness, availability and abundancy are
overdue for our end users.

Andy