Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Apr 26 22:00:42 UTC 2010

In message <g2v75cb24521004260807z1ea1a3a0vaa05e5e4ef3268a4 at mail.gmail.com>, Christopher Morrow writes:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote=
> :
>
> > Don't forget the hotspot vendor that returns an address of 0.0.0.1 for
> > every A query if you have previously done an AAAA query for the same
> > name (and timed out). =A0That's a fun one.
>
> so... aside from the every 3 months bitching on this list (and some on
> v6ops maybe) about these sorts of things, what's happening to
> tell/educate/warn/notice the hotspot-vendors that this sort of
> practice (along with 'everything is at 1.1.1.1!') is just a bad plan?
> How can users, even more advanced users, tell a hotspot vendor in a
> meaningful way that their 'solution' is broken?
>
> -chris

I periodically try to get the name of vendor and product identification
about load balancer vendors that return broken DNS responses.  This
is after pointing out that the load balancer is broken and saying
why I want it (to inform the vendor / warn others not to purchace
a broken product).  Invariably the administrator is too paranoid
to supply the information.  The best one can hope for is to have
the operator contact their supplier.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC