DHCP Use (was Re: )

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Apr 26 13:42:31 UTC 2010

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> Yes, running IPoETHoATMoDSL is really nice if you own the dslam
> yourself, then it's only a media converter. It's also nice to be able to
> have a very simple L3 device in the CO and do routing there, avoids all
> the need for secure metro ethernet and long L2 transport. very clean.

I don't do anything without consideration of the future. My own network,
and even some of the local AT&T pops easily handle sliding of DSL
customers to interconnected ISPs. Extremely easy with ATM, and even
doable with 802.1ad for those non-atm DSLAMs (idiotic sales pitch isn't
it? Of course, it has ATM!).

Jack