[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Apr 26 04:27:18 UTC 2010

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> Does anyone actually believe that the above is user-friendly and will
> work in real life? Using link-local for this kind of end-user
> administration of their equipment is doomed to fail. There needs to be a
> procedure for devices which are going to get DHCP-PD from the provider,
> that they have a certain prefix they use until they actually get the
> real PD prefix, so end user dns etc works so it's easy to do
> administration of the device.

Last 3 cheap routers. BIG STICKER: INSTALL SOFTWARE BEFORE YOU PLUG THIS
ROUTER IN! I doubt many users even use the old "goto
http://192.168.1.1/" anymore. That being said, there are private
addressing schemes in IPv6 as well. No reason one could be bound to a
cpe router with an easy to type address.

Jack