DHCP Use (was Re: )

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Apr 26 04:23:32 UTC 2010

Seth Mattinen wrote:
> On 4/25/10 4:33 PM, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>> On 25/04/2010 22:06, Larry Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> The whole idea that DHCP should only be used for (and is absolute proof
>>> of the status of) despised-class customers is just nuts.
>>
>> I've never seen DHCP used on residential DSL circuits.. it's all PPP (oA
>> mostly, and oE if you want) in this country (which the telco picks up
>> and sends as L2TP to the DSL provider).  I get alocated my /26 and it
>> doesn't matter which LNS I connect to or how I get there (indeed I can
>> talk L2TP directly to the provider to connect over 3G etc.).
>>

> I have, once, with routed bridged encapsulation instead of PPP.

I personally love it, as do my customers who don't care much for cpe's
that do NAT or having to configure PPP on their devices. Individual
vlans or more traditional pvc for each customer, and massive router
configs make for fun. Perhaps someday vendors will support it better,
but I enjoy the low overhead and stupid cpe.

Oh, and did I mention the customers using switches instead of routers
get to enjoy IPv6?

Jack