[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Apr 25 23:15:35 UTC 2010

In message <u2j88ac5c711004251021q54694443l687b8f6aa78c42df at mail.gmail.com>, Richard Barnes writes:
> Moreover, the general point stands that Mark's problem is one of bad
> ISP decisions, not anything different between IPv4/RFC1918 and IPv6.

Actually one needs to deploy a ULA or have PI addresses to handle
external link down events that are long enough to cause any provider
supplied addresses to expire.

With address selection rules setup so that you prefer ULA over
non-ULA for intra site it just works.  For some services you only
advertise a ULA address even if the host machine has both.

I was disscussing how a CPE device should be advertising DNS
severs in DHCP and decided that adverising ULA addresses for
the DNS proxy/forewarding server was the best way to do this.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org