[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Apr 25 19:56:41 UTC 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 9:11 AM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> What ISP would put a 'lifetime' on your ipv6 prefix?  That seems insane
>> to me... they should give you a /48 and be done with it.  Even the free
>> tunnel brokers do that.
>>
>> But then I never understood dynamic ipv4 either....
>
> Dynamic IPv4 isn't too difficult to understand. There are two main
> arguments:
>
> - Dynamic addresses is a way to differentiate residential customers
> (who pay less) from business customers (who pay more).

Which is both specious and obnoxious.

Given a choice between a provider which does this and one who does not, I will always choose the one that does not. Unfortunately, there is no PON vendor in my area, so I live with com cast business (on a dynamic IP because I refuse to pay their absurd mark-up on IP addresses). Given a PON vendor in my neighborhood, I'd drop Comcast in a heartbeat.

> - Dynamic addresses makes it much easier to handle customers in "bulk".
> You can have *one* standardized form of DNS info (forward/reverse), no
> customer defined DNS at all. You can easily move customers to a new
> aggregation box when the current box is reaching max capacity - just
> remember to lower your DHCP lease time beforehand. You may not need to
> alert customers individually as long as work is done within your well
> defined service windows. etc etc.

This is true. However, I'd be willing to pay some amount to cover this difference. Interestingly, Comcast is the only provider where I've been unable to get a static address on a residential plan at any price. They're also the only provider that has tried to charge more for a static on business service.

> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

Owen