[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Apr 25 15:48:39 UTC 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 8:17 AM, Tony Hoyle wrote:

> On 25/04/2010 03:01, Mark Smith wrote:
>> I'm a typical, fairly near future residential customer. I have a NAS
>> that I have movies stored on. My ISP delegates an IPv6 prefix to me with
>> a preferred lifetime of 60 minutes, and a valid lifetime of 90 minutes
>
> What ISP would put a 'lifetime' on your ipv6 prefix?  That seems insane
> to me... they should give you a /48 and be done with it.  Even the free
> tunnel brokers do that.
>
> But then I never understood dynamic ipv4 either....

If they are using DHCP-PD, then, it comes with a lifetime whether it is
static or not.

The reality is that unless they need to renumber you, you'll probably get
a new RA with the 60/90 minute lifetimes specified each time RAs are
sent and your counters will all get reset to 60/90 for the foreseeable
future.  The preferred and valid lifetimes aren't limitations, they're
minimums.  The prefix should be yours and should be functional for
you for AT LEAST the valid lifetime.

Owen