Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Apr 25 13:58:19 UTC 2010

On Apr 24, 2010, at 6:02 PM, Kevin Buhr wrote:

> Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu writes:
>>
>> Ours are currently intentionally configured to not issue queries over IPv6,
>> because at one time, there were *so many* sites that listed unreachable quad-A
>> NS records. Our DNS guy is more than willing to revisit that config switch.
>>
>> Anybody have some statistics on what the current situation is?
>
> I just dredged a list of 570 one, two, and three-dot domains from a
> mailing list (a bunch of recent messages on debian-user).  Digging
> them gave 919 unique nameserver domain names, and digging those gave
> 119 AAAA addresses. Of these, 106 responded to a DNS query (for the
> nameserver's own AAAA address) in some fashion, and 13 didn't.
>
> Of the 13, 5 were cogentco.com DNS servers and unreachable over my HE
> tunnel thanks to ongoing peering disputes.

Yeah, sorry about that, we really are trying to resolve this.  We're here,
we'll peer. It'd be nice if Cogent would, too.

We really have done everything we can think of to get Cogent to peer.
We even baked them a really nice cake.

If you are a Cogent customer, feel free to ask them why they won't peer
IPv6 with HE.

> In all cases, the nameservers with AAAA addresses had A addresses as
> well.

Owen