Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Fri Apr 23 16:11:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:10:10 +1200 (MAGST)
Franck Martin <franck at genius.com> wrote:

> The whole thread made me thought about this:
>
> http://www.ipinc.net/IPv4.GIF
>
> The energy that people are willing to spend to fix it (NAT, LSN), rather than bite the bullet is amazing.

Probably and sadly, they don't remember the Internet before NAT. I
think Brantley Colie has somewhat redeemed himself by inventing ATA over
Ethernet.

http://www.coraid.com/COMPANY/Management

Also, sadly, even though I'm an strong IPv6 advocate, I think a period
of LSN/GCN is inevitable. There's now not enough time to properly
convert from IPv4 to IPv6, and, also sadly, Jon Postel isn't around
anymore to make subtle and veiled threats of loss of connectivity ..

(http://www.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/museum/tcp-ip-digest/tcp-ip-digest.v1n6.1)
------------------------------

From: POSTEL at USC-ISIF
Subject: Disabling NCPs

There has been some talk of "forcing" the move to TCP by various
administrative and policy measures.  There was also a claim that
there was no technical way to force the abandonment of NCP.  It
should be pointed out that a quite simple modification to the IMP
program would enable the IMPs to filter out and discard all NCP
traffic.  As far as i know, there has been no decision to do this,
but you should be aware that it is technical feasible.

--jon.