Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 15:05:21 UTC 2010

On 4/23/2010 04:49, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:26 UTC, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:
>> - in WHOIS, I have ns1 and ns2.onlyv6.com listed as the authoritative
>> name servers
>>
>> - both of these servers *only* have IPv6 addresses
>
> Which seems a bit far afield from reality to me.  Yes, there are lots
> of folks with IPv6 connectivity and v4-only recursive DNS servers.  I
> don't think ISPs will have problems setting aside a handful of IPv4
> addresses for authoritative DNS infrastructure to work around this
> until v6 transport in recursive DNS servers is common enough.

Wuulllll, wait a minute.  I didn't get the notion that he was testing to
see if a real-world configuration would work.  Most engineering and
science projects don't test the real world (less so now than in times
past, and I don't mean global warming).

It looks like he has designed an experiment to test a narrow range of
conditions that look to be useful for piecing together what the larger
(and largely un-testable) picture might look like.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca