Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Fri Apr 23 14:57:05 UTC 2010

On 4/23/2010 03:26, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> On 2010.04.23 03:35, Larry Sheldon wrote:
>
>> >From my PC at home (Cox in Omaha) I can't even get a nameserver that
>> knows the site.
>
> Larry... let me explain why. Although you might not understand, others
> will, and you may remember this as something when you do use IPv6.
>
> Believe me, nobody can remember everything, and what I'm trying to
> achieve here is isolating easy-to-document issues.
>
> It may be above your head at this time, but my objective is to find out
> the rough edges, that net ops will be able to identify quickly when
> problems arise... much like looking for reckless filtering of ICMP on an
> IPv6 network.

It actually all makes sense (not to be confused with "I have a deep and
abiding understanding now").

> Why you can't get a name server... because this is how the domain is
> configured:

I started to whine about the "misleading" error message I go, but when I
did it again to copy it I see that it was a mix of not-understanding and
of thinking I did:

> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert onlyv6.com
> Unable to resolve target system name onlyv6.com.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

That doesn't say "Unable to locate a nameserver" which I would have bet
it said.

I'll go away quietly now.

Thanks for the explanation.

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca