Connectivity to an IPv6-only site

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Fri Apr 23 12:51:15 UTC 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 8:42 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Dave Hart wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:26 UTC, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:
>>> - in WHOIS, I have ns1 and ns2.onlyv6.com listed as the authoritative
>>> name servers
>>>
>>> - both of these servers *only* have IPv6 addresses
>>
>> Which seems a bit far afield from reality to me.  Yes, there are lots
>> of folks with IPv6 connectivity and v4-only recursive DNS servers.  I
>> don't think ISPs will have problems setting aside a handful of IPv4
>> addresses for authoritative DNS infrastructure to work around this
>> until v6 transport in recursive DNS servers is common enough.
>
> Not really, having your nameservers be IPv6 enabled is a reasonable thing to do.

But (particularly in an enterprise environment) less important than getting the end-user machines IPv6 enabled.
At least I haven't been convinced otherwise yet...  yes, it's reasonable, but at least in my situation it'll probably be after all user facing segments are done.
Also, so far, all IPv6 content whitelisting has been done on the IPv4 address of nameservers... so really, no rush.