Mail Submission Protocol

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Apr 21 22:17:28 UTC 2010

On 4/21/2010 6:49 AM, Claudio Lapidus wrote:
> So we are considering ways to further filter this traffic. We are evaluating
> implementation of MSA through port 587.

RFC 5068, Email Submission Operations: Access and Accountability Requirements,
is a BCP.  It specifies authenticated port 587 for email submission across the
net.

As others have noted, it works well through a wide variety of access
environments.  I don't remember the last time I found it blocked.  I use it over
TLS, of course.

Blocking of outbound port 25 for all hosts not explicitly authorized has become
common.  The fact that 587 default to authenticated is the win.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking