[Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Wed Apr 21 05:46:47 UTC 2010

I see a need for stable, permanent blocks of addresses within an organization. For example, a branch office connecting to a central office over VPN: firewall rules need to be predictable. If the branch office' IPv6 block changes, much access will break. This is directly analogous to how RFC1918 space is used today in such environments.

There is a need to have organizations be able to either self-assign or RIR-assign space that they own and can use without trouble within their network. That address space need not be routable on the public networks.

In general I think this draft has merit.