Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 21 02:39:35 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> said:
> Windows XP SP2 and later has the concept of different "zones" (or whatever
> it's called) where it'll allow things from the local subnet but not from
> outside of it, if you tell it so. I know people who configure their
> network printers without default gw to handle their spotty security.

That still requires someone to configure a printer, while most just plug
it in and let it DHCP.  Also, I needed to update the firmware on a
network printer once, and it had to have a gateway because it downloaded
the firmware directly.

Heck, I have filled up a 5 port switch in my entertainment center now
with TiVo, Xbox, Blu-Ray, and TV (plus back-haul); all of those use the
Internet and so should have the protection of a firewall at the gateway
(and of course the Xbox requires UPnP for some games).  The TiVo,
Blu-Ray, and possibly TV run Linux, which may be somewhat safer, but
Linux has had (and will have) bugs too.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>