Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Tue Apr 20 22:02:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:38:17 -0700
Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2010, at 10:29 AM, Roger Marquis wrote:
>
> > Owen DeLong wrote:
> >> The hardware cost of supporting LSN is trivial. The management/maintenance
> >> costs and the customer experience -> dissatisfaction -> support calls ->
> >> employee costs will not be so trivial.
> >
> > Interesting opinion but not backed up by experience.
> >
> Since nobody has experience with LSN, that's a pretty easy statement to make.

It is backed up by capex - how many people can afford to have just
the chassis to put one of these in? I know most ISPs in Australia
can't (and my opinion is that you shouldn't be putting it in the core
anyway - the only justification I can see to building one of these at
this size is that scaling down is usually a lot easier than scaling up):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6553/brochure_c02-560497_ns1017_Networking_Solutions_Brochure.html