Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Apr 20 14:53:32 UTC 2010

>But regardless of what it is called people usually know what they
>signed up for and when what has worked for the 5-6 years suddenly
>breaks ...

If a consumer ISP moved its customers from separate IPs to NAT, what
do you think would break?  I'm the guy who was behind a double NAT for
several months without realizing it, and I can report that the only
symptom I noticed was incoming call flakiness on one of my VoIP
phones, and even that was easy to fix by decreasing the registration
interval.  The other VoIP phone worked fine in its default config.

Other than the .01% of consumer customers who are mega multiplayer
game weenies, what's not going to work?  Actual experience as opposed
to hypothetical hand waving would be preferable.

I'm not saying that NAT is wonderful, but my experience, in which day
to day stuff all works fine, is utterly different from the doom and
disaster routinely predicted here.

R's,
John